West Michigan Beach Towns and Everything We Love About Them!
Let’s explore some of the West Michigan beach towns around Greater Grand Rapids from South Haven up to Muskegon!
Starting from the bottom up with South Haven which is a picture perfect spot. The pier there is a great place to walk and watch the sunset! You can also enjoy a beach day on the public beach, walk around the shops, get coffee or food at one of the local restaurants or cafes, take a stroll along The Harbor Walk, and more!
Here are some places you should check out in South Haven:
- Captain Lou’s (voted the #5 waterfront bar in Michigan!)
- The Farmers Market on Huron St Pavillion (Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8am-2pm)
- Lake Arvesta Sports Complex (only the COOLEST spot to spend an afternoon!)
- Three Blondes Brewing (with indoor AND outdoor dining!)
- The Flying Saucer (a cutie coffee shop!!)
Let’s move up the coast to the town of Saugatuck!
Saugatuck is loved by many West Michiganders and visitors from all over. Find plenty of restaurants with outdoor dining along the channel of the Kalamazoo river, visit one of the beautiful beaches, wander through the local shops, hike one of the many trails, and the list goes on!
Check out these fab spots in Saugatuck:
- The BRAND NEW Woosah and Outside Coffee location there!
- Oval Beach (a widely renowned MI beach)
- Mt Baldhead Park (a strenuous 300 step trail!)
- Virtue Cider (farmhouse ciders from local apples!)
- GROW Cafe and Bistro
- Urban Found (an adorable boutique)
- The Saugatuck Chain Ferry (take a ride along the Kalamazoo river!)
Moving along to Holland, which is an IHeartGR FAV when it comes to beach towns! The downtown area and beach are about a 12 minute drive from one another, but we can assure you that it is beyond worth it to visit both when spending your day there!
Downtown Holland is nothing short of charming and 8th Street is the perfect place for all things shopping, eating, and enjoying the tulips during the famous Tulip Time every spring!
Here are some local businesses we love in Holland:
- Spring Sweet (the cutest boutique downstairs, and a bridal shop upstairs!)
- Ferris Coffee (let’s talk about the aesthetic interior and the unbeatable coffee shall we?!)
- Whits Frozen Custard (pro tip: try the vegan oat milk custard options!)
- New Holland Brewing (an all around Holland fav!)
- The Peanut Store (arguably the best candy shop in the world!)
- Fris (a cutie patootie lil stationery shop)
- KIN Coffee and Craft House (grab a coffee on your way to the beach!)
- Captain Sundae (or some ice cream on the way to the beach!)
- Dutch Village (entering a world of Dutch traditions, windmills, tulips, and more!)
And we’re not kidding when we say that the list can go on and on….and on!! But we’ll spare you the reading and just let you enjoy some of our favs for now and let you explore more fantastic places when you visit yourself!
Next up on the beach town list: Grand Haven!
Welcome to the PERFECT place to enjoy the beach, channel, and downtown all in one spot! We absolutely love walking along the beach, pier, channel, and boardwalk and then going into town and visiting the local shops and sitting by the outdoor amphitheater to people watch or watch whatever is going on there!
And before we list off some of the local businesses we love, we can’t neglect mentioning that you HAVE to sit and enjoy the Musical Fountain in Grand Haven when you visit!
Ok definitely check out these GH businesses:
- Marushka (original designs printed in store! Find everything from apparel to prints to home decor and more!)
- Side Bar Artisan Coffee (unique latte flavors and the cutest interior!)
- Kirby Grill (sit down restaurant with outdoor seating and live music!)
- Pronto Pups (famous corn dogs, yup you heard that right, this is a Grand Haven MUST)
- Pump House (everyone loves froyo!)
- Pink Lemonade (a fun boutique!)
- Aldea Coffee (another fav GH coffee shop!)
And last but certainly not least, let’s visit Muskegon!
Muskegon is home to some pretty unique spots to visit! Not only is it one of the top places in Michigan for surfing, but it also is home to one of the few drive-in movie theaters in Michigan!
Here are some cool places you should definitely check out in Muskegon!
- The Deck (a restaurant on the beach with live music every day!)
- The Getty Drive In (drive-in movie theater!)
- Michigan’s Adventure (amusement park and water park!)
- Dockers (a restaurant on the water!)
- Burl and Sprig Cocktail Bar (a cute cocktail bar with events every week!)
- Aldea Coffee (Muskegon’s aesthetic coffee shop!)
In conclusion, get out there and enjoy the West Michigan beach towns surrounding Greater Grand Rapids! Share your adventures with us on Instagram and Facebook and be sure to tag us @iheartgr!!